Saturday, March 16, 2019

Partly Cloudy with a Chance of Sarcasm

"You can't really be strong until you see a funny side to things." -Ken Kesey

This introduction (of sorts) is meant to serve as a bit of a PSA.  Please understand the following as you read my blog:
  1. My sense of humor is best described as irreverent, sarcastic, morbid, and sometimes vulgar.  
  2. I am an "old soul" and a deep thinker--existential and introspective.
  3. Chronic illness is a part of my life; my blog topics will not always be uplifting in tone.
  4. Mine is a family affected by Autism, so posts about our home life may seem backwards, but its how we make it work.
If you've known me for any length of time, you've realized that I use humor and wit to make any situation more comfortable, regardless of how grim it may be.  Making an entire team of doctors and nurses in an operating room giggle could probably be considered a hobby of mine!  The most recent example I can think of was when I was having a PICC line placed so that I could receive IV antibiotics at home to treat a driveline infection I was experiencing.  The young doctor began rinsing my right arm down with cold, bright orange Betadine.  I looked over and asked, "Have you ever felt compelled to write 'ass' or something on somebody's arm because I feel like I would have to fight that urge on a daily basis."  Needless to say, the room immediately became less tense and we all continued to cut up as the PICC line was placed and I was sent on my way.  I feel like anytime you can humanize yourself in a medical situation, the stronger your relationship with those professionals becomes.  If you can make em fall in love with you, you will be well cared for and probably never forgotten.







1 comment: