Thursday, April 4, 2019

Memento Mori

This poem is admittedly dark AF, but it was in my brain this morning.  Unless I intend to become creatively constipated, I've got to breathe life into it.  As a writer, I enjoy digging deep into even the smallest emotion.  In school, they called it "exploding the moment".  Well...BOOM, y'all!



Memento Mori

This town is a shrine to faded memories.

Street signs and parking lots harbor ghosts of the ones I used to know.

Familiar once as my favorite songs,
now foreign and ambiguous.

Driveways call to me,
with panged expressions,
and empty promises of peace,
but I can no longer number their cracks.

Time has extinguished the evidence,
and silenced the sole survivor.

Until the next lucid dream,
or photograph surfaces. 

Sincerely,
Samantha


No comments:

Post a Comment